VIEW CURRENT NOMINEES
Below, are our current nominees for SLC. We will vote to approve during the business meetings on June 09 at 10:30am and 12pm in the Worship Center. Please take a moment to get familiar with your new nominees.
I have been a member of Gayton since the summer of 2010, when I was hired as the High School youth pastor. I also assisted Pastor Phil Faig with the leadership of the Capital Campaign for the new building and served as a leader for Kids Camp and VBS. I am currently serving on the Gayton teaching team, as co-leader of the guest services team for Nexus, and lead a small group for young families.
My wife, Katelyn, and I were married in October, 2010, and run an online photography education business together. We have a two-year-old daughter, Everly, and a newborn son, Graham. We are also parents of a son in heaven, James. James’ short life sparked a new season of involvement at Gayton for us. Both Katelyn and I felt called to be involved in the leadership of Nexus and really commit time and energy to helping a new part of Gayton grow.
A native of Tennessee, I am a preacher's daughter, baptized by my father at age 11. A career advancement opportunity for my husband brought my family to Richmond in 1991. We visited Gayton about six years ago and realized we found our church home.
After 28+ years in the insurance industry, I retired two years ago. My most recent position before retirement was Regional Sales Manager, supervising a staff in six states. I am a licensed insurance agent, a Certified Insurance Counselor, and a Certified Insurance instructor for Virginia Bureau of Insurance. I served in many capacities within the industry including President of Insurance Women of Richmond and State Director of NAIW. I have also served terms on the Board of local youth soccer organizations and our local HOA.
At Gayton I sing in the choir, am a member of the Connections class and Tuesday Ladies Bible Study. I am currently serving on the HR Task Group and an ad hoc committee to evaluate facility usage. I have been the Volunteers Coordinator for Jazz Nativity for the past two years. My husband, Mike, and I have enjoyed serving on the couples' mission trip to the Eastern Shore for the past three years. We have been married almost 49 years and have three adult sons and three special "daughters". We are the very proud grandparents of five grandchildren.
I have been a member at Gayton since 1993. My family (wife, Cathy and 3 children) moved to Richmond from Pittsburgh, and one of our first priorities was to find a new church home. After doing our due diligence by visiting several area churches, we realized Gayton was where we wanted to be and felt strongly that this was God’s leading. Our children loved it the first day!
Cathy and I have led the Fellowship Committee and been involved in the Youth programs including leading one of the Youth Mission trips. I have served as a deacon with the honor of being the Chairman. I was elected to the first Servant Leadership Council and served as it’s Chairman, participating in the re-writing of our constitution. I have led adults in Bible study in several settings, been involved in FMSC, and worked on a number of church construction projects. I am also a member of the choir.
With a B.A. in Business & Economics from King’s College, I worked in the construction field with jobs from carpenter to the owner/operator of a small construction services company. Most of my professional experience was in the petroleum industry managing distribution operations with employees ranging in number from ten to fifty.
Cathy and I are both enjoying retirement and our grandchildren. We have three grown children, all married; Julie (Brad), John (Colleen), and Stephen (Lacy). They have given us six wonderful grandchildren ranging in age from 3 months to 10 years.
The Discernment Task Group (DTG) solicited nominations for 3 positions on the Servant Leadership Council (SLC). See below for the responsibilities of a Servant Leadership Council member and people currently serving.
Currently serving on the SLC:
Tom Burgess, Rob House, Scott Johnson, Nancy Lucy, Karen Mitscherlich, Don Parr, Mark Ratliff, Keith Warman
Steve Dowdy – rotating off 6/30/19 – eligible for service again 7/1/20
Randy Wimbish – rotating off 6/30/19 – eligible for service again 7/1/20
Vacancy – member resigned before term was completed
SLC Responsibilities include:
1. Be responsible for the strategic direction of the church
2. Establish strategies and objectives to fulfill the church’s Purpose, Vision and Values, and to:
a. review progress against objectives
b. to ensure that ministry operates consistently with the strategies
3. Be servant leaders of the church in life, thought, and ministry.
4. Meet monthly, and at other times as necessary to accomplish its duties, maintaining permanent, typed minutes of such meetings.
5. Annually review and establish strategies and objectives to accomplish the church’s purpose and to review the charter of ministry councils and teams. As part of this review, it may request objectives from the staff and ministry councils and teams.
6. Regularly review the total ministry of the church to determine that objectives are being accomplished.
7. Establish policies as necessary to guide the church and to take or recommend corrective action, or reverse objectives, where objectives are not being accomplished.
8. Represent the church in certain staff relationships as outlined in the church’s Human Resources Policy Manual.
9. Routinely review the charter and objectives of ministry teams.
10. Make recommendations on all matters to be brought to the church in business meetings, other than from teams directly responsible to the church; and to call church meetings as necessary.
11. Approve the annual ministry budget of the church as submitted by the STG. Final budget will be forwarded to the church in the annual meeting for consideration and approval.